A Smiley Face Firework :) at the Canada Day Celebration by @uWaterloo
July 4, 2013
Who couldn’t resist smiling at an explosive ball of fire lit up in the shape of a Smiley Face? Not me !!! This past Monday (Canada Day) I had the opportunity to represent Random Acts of Kindness Day as a Kindness Krew member at the Smile Epidemic booth. We handed out bracelets, clackers, wristbands and provided free face painting (thanks to Bre Creative) for all. Smile Epidemic who so graciously invited us, asked KW what about Canada makes you smile, handed out mini flashlights and provided free hugs from their mascot spreading joy throughout the park. I had not attended the festivities at Columbia Lake in quite some time and WOW was I ever amazed. Here are some of the things you may have missed or you may have enjoyed:
Activity Zone & live children’s performances
– #CanadaSmiles presented by the Smile Epidemic with Random Acts of Kindness Day, Kindness Krews and professional face painting from Bre Creative
– Hockey Shot presented by Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club
– Mini Putt presented by LPGA Golf
– Outdoor Adventure presented by Boy Scouts of Canada
– Arts and Crafts presented by Girl Guides of Canada
– Kids Olympics presented by University of Waterloo Engineering Society
– Game Asylum presented by 96.7 CHYM FM, 570 News and KIX 106.7 FM
– Community Collage presented by Conrad Grebel Peace Camp
– Dinosaur Dig presented by University of Waterloo Earth Sciences Museum
– World Water Monitoring Challenge presented by the Laurel Creek Citizens Working Group
– Water Games presented by University of Waterloo Students of the Water Institute
– Sink or Float Presented by THEMUSEUM
Food Fair & Artisan Village
– Angelo’s Grilled Chicken
– Domino’s Pizza
– Grainharvest Breadhouse Inc.
– Gail’s Cotton Candy
– Heavenly Dreams Ice Cream Inc.
– Papa’s Gourmet Grill
– The Scrumptious Spud
– Smoke’s Poutinerie
– Southern Ontario Smoked BBQ
– Wok Wagon
– As well as a licensed refreshment area provided by Waterloo Brewing Co
The Artisan Village showcased a variety of handmade, original artwork and merchandise by many talented artisans and vendors.
Spirit of the West and Hollerado, two of Canada’s top bands headlined this free event; with earlier performances from internationally acclaimed children’s singer-songwriter Ronno, a performance of the classic children’s book Stellaluna, Wij the Magician and the Waterloo Warriors Band. As well as Takeru Kobayashi who is an international competitive eating sensation. He polished off 85 Tim Hortons Timbits in 2 minutes!
The fireworks kicked off with a bang (of course) and previous to this, approximately 40,000 joined in the singing of O Canada lead by Clarissa Diokno winner of Waterloo’s Campus idol. Everyone sat in amaze as what seemed to be a heart shaped firework formed in the dark sky; with whispers of “Was that planned or did it just happen that way?” When the next heart shaped firework formed everyone knew it was planned and enlightened the crowd. The finally then further blew minds as a the sky was filled with multiple Happy Face Fireworks in a background of red and white flashes. If you don’t believe us click here to see a smiley face firework
All in all, do not miss next years Canada Day Celebration by @uWaterloo as this year was amazing and they are trying to outperform themselves again.
If you have any questions, concerns or require additional information please feel free to comment below or contact us at any of the sources provided. firstname.lastname@example.org, 519.579.5330, Twitter @HoggMechanical, Facebook Hogg Mechanical
Posted in: Events