Top 5 Reasons to Have a Furnace Tune-up – Added 4 & 5
December 3, 2013
Being in the Heating business, we know that most people choose not to have their furnaces tuned up annually. This puzzles us – most people have their vehicles checked annually and the rewards are even better for furnaces! Whoever you choose to do it, the reality is you will benefit tremendously having your furnace “tuned – up” annually. How?
1. The majority of people don’t even change their furnace filters on an annual basis. While your furnace is still likely able to keep the house at the desired temperature, it does so by working much harder than it needs to. Fully loaded filters impede air movement, which make it hard for the furnace to get enough heat into the duct system. How does it compensate? By running longer. Longer cycles mean more electricity, which means higher bills. Most studies estimate that $100 could be saved annually by ensuring your furnace is running properly which includes clean furnace filters.
2. Furnace manufacturers have improved their products to such an extent that when maintained, will easily last 15 – 20 years. In fact most manufacturers are now offering a 15 year warranty option! The key to this is “maintained properly”. |Note the last paragraph on this link| While some contractors may use this to sell pricey service contracts, all you need to do is have a pair of qualified eyes look at your system and adjust a few things (if needed) annually. What happens if you don’t? We routinely see excellent furnaces fail after as little as 7 years without maintenance. When you look at the cost of a furnace (>$3000) doesn’t it make sense to spend less than $500 (over 7 years) to save more than $3000?
3. Having someone look at your furnace at the beginning of the season will give you a good idea if it will last the entire season. If your service provider tells you he doesn’t think it will, knowing at the beginning of the season will give you time to make the best decision. Think about it – if the furnace breaks down in the middle of winter, your entire focus will be on getting the house heated again. You may end up making the wrong decision for you (efficiency, warranty, brand, etc) if your priority is speed of replacement.
4. Safety. Carbon Monoxide is the product of incomplete combustion. Your furnace burns fuel (combusts) to produce heat. When all of the fuel is not completely burned, carbon monoxide is emitted. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is odourless. You no doubt remember the family in Woodstock that were found in their houses after a weekend – killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. So – for your family’s sake, get your furnace tuned up and ensure there is no carbon monoxide in your house.
5. Comfort. Do you have parts of your house that are warmer than others? Use your tune-up as an opportunity to get the technician to try and even out the heat in your house. He may be able to adjust a few vents in your house and get the heat into the areas that are frequently cold.
So if I’ve convinced you that your furnace should be looked at once a year. Shop around and compare – I’m sure you’ll find that our $45 special is half the price you’ll find anywhere else.
If you have any questions, concerns or require additional information please feel free to comment below or contact us at any of the sources provided. firstname.lastname@example.org, 519.579.5330, Twitter @HoggMechanical, Facebook Hogg Mechanical
Posted in: Heating - Tagged with: allergies, asthma, Cambridge, contractors, efficiency, efficient, electricity, Elmira, energy, furnace, Guelph, heating, Hogg, Hydro, Indoor Air Quality, Kitchener, licensed, Local, savings, Union Gas, Waterloo, Waterloo North Hydro, weather