4 Electrical Mistakes to Avoid


Preventing trouble with your home’s electrical system doesn’t take much effort – it probably has more to do with the stuff that you shouldn’t do than it is about things that you really need to do. For example:

  1. Don’t splice damaged cords. Splices can fall apart and cause fires. Chuck the appliance with the spliced cord and buy a new one, or have it repaired by a professional.
  2. Don’t overload your outlets. Multiple extension cords and “octopus” plugs that turn a single outlet into multiple outlets can overheat and cause fire. Instead, plug some appliances into other outlets. If you live in an older home with an inadequate number of outlets, consider hiring an electrician to add more.
  3. Don’t use outlets that screw into light sockets. They’re easily overpowered, causing overheating, melted wires, and possibly a fire.
  4. Don’t get too used to those ugly extension cords. Extension cords are supposed to be temporary, not permanent, parts of your decor. And it’s not just that they’re tacky to look at – these cords can cause dangerous circuit overloads. And who among us hasn’t taken a spill after tripping over an extension cord?

Hogg Tip: When buying electrical products, look for the “CSA” mark. The Canadian Standards Association sets safety standards for electrical devices and parts, and tests products for safety. The CSA mark should appear on all electrical products in your home.

If you have any questions, concerns or require additional information please feel free to contact us at any of the sources provided. info@hoggmechanical.com, 519.579.5330, Twitter @HoggMechanical, Facebook Hogg Heating & Air Conditioning

$45 peace of mind furnace tune up special!

Posted in: Cooling, Heating - Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

« Previous
In Floor Heat – to get the safety and efficiency benefits you need to use the right system.
Next »
Hogg / American Standard Heating & Air Conditioning Furnace Video!