Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Signs
December 31, 2014
Once your furnace is on, the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning becomes all the more present. As it is silent, tasteless and odourless it can easily be overlooked – with deadly consequences. Any amount of carbon monoxide in your environment can make it harder for your body to absorb oxygen and in severe cases can lead to death.
Over the past month there have been multiple news stories about carbon monoxide poisoning and the dangers it presents. On the same note, very little has been mentioned about how to recognize that something might be wrong. Thanks to new laws that make it mandatory to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home we are safer than ever. Not all carbon monoxide poisonings happen in homes, though (at the end of November a group of youths suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at a their local hockey arena). It is always best to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible; the more you know, the more likely you are to notice the symptoms early and take the necessary precautions.
According to the Mayo Clinic, a person suffering carbon monoxide poisoning will suffer many of these symptoms:
- Dull headache
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
While none of these things point to carbon monoxide poisoning on their own, when multiple symptoms show up at once and in multiple people in the same environment, it is worth further investigation. Anyone suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be checked out by a healthcare professional to make sure there are no long-term effects.
So, now that you know the signs and symptoms, what should you do? First and foremost, if you notice these symptoms, remove yourself from the area immediately. If you’re in your home and you have the opportunity, it is suggested that you open as many windows and doors as possible to help ventilate the house. This is only a suggestion; your safety comes first. Call emergency services immediately so they can come assess the situation and locate the source of the leak. They will make sure you have all the information you need to move forward.
If you have any concerns about carbon monoxide or wish to ask us any other HVAC related questions, please contact us through our website, via Twitter or on our Facebook page. We love to hear from you.
Posted in: Community, Heating, Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: American Standard, baeumler, Cambridge, Cambridge and North Dumfries Hydro, carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide poisoning, furnace, heating, Hogg, Home, HVAC, Hydro, Indoor Air Quality, Kitchener, Kitchener Wilmot Hydro, licensed, Local, Mechanical, power, respiratory, safer home, Safety, temperature, thermostat, Waterloo, Waterloo North Hydro