Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention – 5 Tips
February 20, 2015
According to the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs website, more than 50 people die each year of carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada. Hundreds more will be poisoned by this molecule. There are simple precautions that can be taken to minimize the chances of this happening to you or your family, and really, what is more important than your safety?
First and foremost, make sure that there are carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your house. We have mentioned this repeatedly in our blog posts. It can’t be said enough – these detectors save lives! Make sure they are installed near sleeping areas and in other high traffic areas where your family regularly gathers. One per floor is enough.
There are some other ways to make sure that you can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home – here are five ways to help you keep your house as safe as possible.
- If you have an attached garage, don’t leave your car running – your car’s exhaust is pumping out a ton of different chemicals, creating a deadly cocktail that could cause big problems if it becomes too concentrated. Even if the garage door is open, fumes can still get into your house.
- Have your furnace, fireplaces and any other fuel-burning fixtures in your house serviced regularly – we have said time and again that it is important to have your furnace serviced regularly, but that doesn’t mean that your other fuel-burning appliances and fixtures should be neglected. If you have gas fixtures in your house, call a local HVAC company (like Hogg) to schedule a tune up. If you have a wood burning fixture, make sure to call a reliable service to have your flues cleaned.
- Don’t use unvented appliances indoors – this one speaks for itself; make sure that fuel-burning appliances are used in a well-ventilated area. Not doing so could have serious consequences.
- Trust the professionals – Having a new furnace installed? Call in the pros! When a professional team comes in to install your new appliance, they will make sure that everything is properly installed and ventilated, minimizing the risk to your family. A small mistake by a do-it-yourselfer can mean serious consequences for people in your home.
- If you are using a generator, make sure it is venting far away from your house – Do not make the mistake of using a generator anywhere that cannot be easily ventilated.
If you hear your carbon monoxide alarms go off, get out of the house immediately and call emergency services. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious damage if not caught in time, so when in doubt, play on the side of caution.
Posted in: Heating, Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: baeumler, baeumler approved, boiler, carbon, carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide detector, carbon monoxide poisoning, carbonmonoxide, CO, CO detector, danger, fireplace, fuel, furnace, furnace maintenance, furnace tune-up, gas, gas-burning, health, heating, Hogg, Home, home maintenance, house, HVAC, Hydro, Indoor Air Quality, Local, Mechanical, monoxide, professional, reliable, respiratory, Tips, tips and tricks, trusted, tune-up, tune-ups