Carbon Monoxide Detectors Now Mandatory


CO Detectors are now mandatory

As of today, carbon monoxide detectors are mandatory in all Ontario homes … and we think this is a good thing.

Actually, we think this is fantastic.

Carbon monoxide kills around 50 people every year in Canada and sends many more to hospital. A lot of these deaths could have been prevented through the installation and maintenance of carbon monoxide detectors.

While that number may seem a little low, remember these are mostly preventable deaths. The installation of a carbon monoxide detector near your home’s high traffic/ sleeping areas can save the lives of you and your family. Many of us have a tendency to believe that this is something that would only happen to somebody else and don’t take the appropriate precautions. This is a huge mistake. For no other reason than the peace of mind that a carbon monoxide detector can provide, it is worth having one installed. When it saves your life, you will be glad you did.

Know the signs!

Know the signs!

Remember, it only takes a small, steady leak to cause big problems in your home. Even with a carbon monoxide detector installed, it is important to know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you notice any of these symptoms in you or your family members, remove everyone from the home immediately and call the fire department. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

We hope you have taken the time to install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. Ideally, you should have one on every floor, but even a single detector betters your chances of early discovery.

A great resource is the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs website. This site will list all of the specific regulations regarding this law.

If you have any questions about carbon monoxide or would like to see another topic covered on our blog, please contact us via our website, on Twitter or on our Facebook page.

 

Posted in: Community, Cooling, Heating, Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

« Previous
Home DIY on a budget
Next »
Natural Gas Barbeques are Hot!