Life Hacks Vol. 4 – Baking Soda & Vinegar
April 8, 2015
At some point in their lives, everyone has made a mess in the kitchen using baking soda and vinegar. For most of us it was a first chemistry lesson. What we didn’t know, though, was that we could harness the power of these chemicals, either separate or together, to make our lives a little easier.
Today, as part of our life hacks series, we have decided to give you a few tips on how to use these great everyday items to make your home a happier, cleaner place.
Using Baking Soda:
- Do your carpets smell a little musty? Pull out your handy box of baking soda and liberally sprinkle it on the floor. Let it sit for five to 10 minutes then vacuum it up. This little trick will remove pet odours, cigarette smoke and any other offending scents.
- Keep your linen closets smelling fresh with a baking soda deodorizer. Place a few tablespoons of baking soda in a clean sock, tie it off and then place it in an out of the way corner. These little packets will last about two months and will keep musty smells at bay. It’s also a great way to utilize any odd socks that you may have in the house.
- If you’re having a hard time getting a pot or pan clean, you can use vinegar to remove the stains. Mix equal parts white vinegar and water (usually about 1-2 cups each) and set the pan to boil for about five minutes. Any cooked on mess will lift off easily.
- You can make your own all-purpose cleaner with vinegar and save a lot of money. Take an old spray bottle and mix one part vinegar with two parts water. Add about ½ teaspoon of dish soap and you’re ready to start cleaning.
Using both together
- Vinegar and baking soda can be used together to clear a clogged drain. Pour about ½ cup of baking soda into the clogged drain and follow it with about a cup of vinegar. Once it has stopped foaming, just rinse with hot water and the clog should be gone.
Simple household items can help in a big way when you know what to do with them, and these are no exception. These tips can save you time and money, and best of all, they cost nearly nothing to do!
FOR THE REST OF THE SERIES
Posted in: Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: baeumler, baking soda, Cambridge, Certified, clogged sink, clogs, deodorizer, hack, hacks, help, Home, home maintenance, house, Kitchener, KW, life, life hack, life hacks, lifehack, lifehacks, Local, qualified, series, trusted, vinegar, Waterloo, white vinegar