CO SERIES: Pt. 3 – Carbon Monoxide Detectors
July 1, 2015
This post is brought to you by AirWest.
How a CO detector can save your life
We’ve all read stories about how CO detectors have saved families from harm. It is a small inexpensive tool that every home should have and most if not all states now require them. Here are some other factors to remember when buying and installing CO detectors in your home:
- Carbon Monoxide alarms are required on every level of the home including any portions of basements and attics that are habitable.
- Alarms should be installed within 10 feet of bedroom doors.
- Landlords are responsible to not only install CO detectors but also maintain them in every dwelling.
- Depending on the model, you should replace them every 5-7 years.
- Be sure to look for the approval label of an (UL) Underwriter’s Laboratory before you buy your CO detector.
As the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide has no color, shape, scent, or sound and can creep out of a heating unit or car when you least expect it. Worst of all, carbon monoxide is lethal after as few as a couple of minutes should it reach the central nervous system or the heart.
Homeowners should remember not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.
If you have any questions about carbon monoxide, would like to see another topic covered in this series or have other HVAC questions, contact your local HVAC dealers or send questions to great companies like Hogg Heating and Air Conditioning, Airwest or New Berlin Heating.
Posted in: Community, Cooling, Heating, Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: A/C, AC unit, air, air con, air conditioner, baeumler, cabon monoxide detection, Cambridge, carbon, carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide alarm, carbon monoxide poisoning, CO, cooling, friendly, Guelph, health, heating, Hogg, Home, home maintenance, house, HVAC, Kitchener, licensed, Local, maintenance, Mechanical, power, service, trusted, Waterloo