CO Series Pt. 4: A Carbon Monoxide free Home
July 9, 2015
Brought to you by Hogg Heating and Air Conditioning.
It’s true in sports and it’s true in home maintenance. When it comes to carbon monoxide, though, it can save your life.
Keeping your home carbon monoxide free can save your life, so you want to put as much effort into it as possible.
Proper maintenance can mean the difference between a nice day and an emergency situation. Your furnace will be the biggest carbon monoxide producer in your home, so it is important to get it serviced annually. A yearly inspection costs around $50-75 to perform and can increase the life of your furnace. Among other things, the HVAC technician performing the tune up will check your furnace and ventilation for carbon monoxide leaks. If he or she notices any minor problems, they will fix it or replace the malfunctioning part, keeping you safer. With a tune up, these problems are usually caught before they become a danger to your household.
If you have a wood fireplace, it is also important to make sure you get it cleaned regularly. Soot and debris can clog up your flue and stop smoke from venting properly. Keeping it clean makes sure that carbon monoxide isn’t backing up into your house.
Finally, with appliances like gas stoves or non-vented gas fireplaces, make sure you do not run them for extended periods of time (this Colorado State University site suggests no more than four hours at a time) so that carbon monoxide does not have a chance to accumulate. These appliances do not put off excessive amounts of gas but can become dangerous if overused.
Another smart ideas is to avoid using anything that produces an open flame in an enclosed space.
Regardless of all of these preventative measures, it is still very important to have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home in case there is an emergency. If you detector goes off, leave the house and call emergency services immediately.
IF you have more questions about carbon monoxide, please contact one of these awesome HVAC specialists: Hogg Heating and Air Conditioning, AirWest, or New Berlin Heating.
Posted in: Cooling, Heating, Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: airwest, baeumler, boiler, Cambridge, carbon, carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide detector, carbon monoxide poisoning, CO, CO poisoning, contractors, Elmira, Elora, emergency services, energy, furnace, Guelph, health, Hogg, Home, home maintenance, house, HVAC, Indoor Air Quality, Kitchener, licensed, Local, maintenance, Mechanical, monoxide, New Berlin Heating, Waterloo