Types of insulation Vol. 2
September 25, 2015
Today, many people take it on themselves to do their own home renovation projects. One common DIY project is insulating your home.
There are many different types of insulation that can be used in your renovation and each has its pros and cons. Part one of this series covered loose fill and batts and blankets, but there are still more to choose from.
Structural insulated panels (SIPs) are becoming more and more common in construction. It can be used in DIY projects but is usually more suited to new builds or larger, retrofit projects.
- There is little point in using SIPs in only a small part of your home. Unless you are doing a larger-scale renovation that will include replacing most of your insulation, these may not be the best choice.
- SIPs are very efficient, meaning they can be a good investment.
- Since these are usually used in large-scale projects that involve contractors, most people don’t end up going the DIY route on this option.
Another option for small projects is spray fill insulation. This is another insulation type that comes with its fair share of pros and cons.
- For small projects, such as filling areas around doors and windows, spray foam can be a great option. It will expand to fit the area and has a fairly high efficiency rating.
- Some are not as watertight as others and will let water vapour through. Check and make sure the type of insulation used is right for the job.
- For larger-scale projects, a professional is definitely needed. The equipment needed to do a large-scale project is not available to the public, so either be ready to pay for the pros or look into other insulation options.
If you have any other questions regarding insulation, would like to see something covered on our blog, or would like to schedule some maintenance, please contact us via our website, on Twitter or through our Facebook page.
Posted in: Cooling, Heating, Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: AC unit, air conditioner, Cambridge, DIY, do it yourself, furnace, Guelph, Hogg, Home, home maintenance, house, insultion, Kitchener, licensed, Local, maintenance, Mechanical, series, spray foam, Structural insulated panels, Waterloo