Know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning


As furnaces are turned on across the country, the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home rises. While the best offense is a good defense (performing regular maintenance on your furnace and installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home), it is still important to know what to do if you notice the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

First off, what are the signs? Some of the more common symptoms of CO poisoning are:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Blurred Vision
  • Confusion
  • Drowsiness
  • Chest pain
  • Elevated heartbeat
  • Seizures
  • Shortness of breath

All of these can be signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you notice any combination of these signs and symptoms, especially if others in your home are suffering similarly, make sure to seek help immediately.

It is always safer to err on the side of caution, so if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, even if your CO detector hasn’t sounded, call 911 and remove yourself from your home immediately. Do not hesitate inside your home. Carbon monoxide is tasteless, odourless and invisible, so you have no way of knowing how much carbon monoxide is in the air you are breathing.

If you would like to know more about carbon monoxide poisoning, would like to schedule some maintenance for your furnace or have any questions for us, please feel free to contact us via via our website, on Twitter or through our Facebook page.

 

To learn more about our First Frost Freebie promotion, click here.

Posted in: Heating, Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

« Previous
Three ways to better your home’s heating efficiency
Next »
Why Location Is An Important Factor On Choosing The Right Heating System