10 Hogg Tips on Removing Stuff from your Household Bricks!
August 8, 2014
Over the years your household brick walls will build up some unwarranted gunk and stains. Here are ten tips on removing the problem areas:
- Dingy Spots – Try applying spray-on oven cleaner: let sit 15 minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush. Repeat, then rinse with water.
- Dirt – Hose off while scrubbing with a stiff brush. For a tough job, rent a power washer.
- Efflorescence (Chalky Buildup) – Mix masonry detergent with water according to package directions, and apply it with a stiff brush. Rinse.
- Graffiti – Apply commercial spray paint remover, following label directions.
- Mold or Mildew – Prepare 50-50 mixture of bleach and water and pour into a plastic spray bottle. Spray on mixture; wait one hour, then flush area well with water. Alternatively, scrub the area with full-strength white vinegar and a stiff nylon brush.
- Paint – Blot wet paint with paper towels; then wipe with a rag soaked with paint thinner for alkyd paint (if the paint is latex, use water). If the paint has dried, scrape it off; then remove residue with commercial paint remover.
- Rust – Dissolve 1 pound (0.5 kilogram) of oxalic acid crystals in 1 gallon (4 litres) of water. Brush on; wait three hours, then scrub and rinse.
- Soot or Smoke – Scrub with scouring powder; rinse well. For Stubborn spots, make a paste of talc and liquid chlorine bleach, apply, and let dry before brushing off.
- Tar or Asphalt – Scrub with scouring powder. Make paste of talc and kerosene, apply, and let dry. Brush off, then scrub again and rinse.
- Water Stains (as from lawn sprinklers) – Scrub with an acid-based commercial brick cleaner and a stiff brush.
If you have any questions, concerns or require additional information please feel free to contact us at any of the sources provided. email@example.com, 519.772.2010, Twitter @HoggMechanical, Facebook Hogg Heating & Air Conditioning
Posted in: Uncategorized - Tagged with: air conditioner, asphalt, baeumler, brick, Cambridge, clean, cleaning, contractors, cost, dirt, efficiency, efficient, Elmira, furnace, graffiti, Guelph, Hogg, Home, house, Kitchener, mildew, mold, paint, rust, saving, savings, smoke, soot, stain, summer, tar, water, Waterloo, weather