Fall Home Maintenance, 20 Tips Checklist!
September 12, 2014
Fall is in the air and The Weather Network is predicting another cold season for our area. There is less than two weeks until the start of Fall, so we wanted you to be prepared.
Here is a home maintenance checklist for the upcoming fall season:
- Recaulk joints between siding and other materials
- Check wood surfaces for deterioration
- Putty loose windows and replace cracked glass
- Clean screens and repair any damage
- Replace worn or damaged weather stripping
- Caulk around windows and doors if needed
- Check for carpenter ants and wasps’ nests
- Clean gutters, downspouts, and leaf strainers and check for pitch, damage, and leaks at seams
- Clean debris from storm drains
- Trim trees that may damage house or clog gutters
The majority of these points can save you tons of money by saving you energy on your heating bills. With another cold winter supposed to be on the way reducing the heat loss in your home will be crucial.
- Check for and repair cracks in walls
- Replace cracked floor or wall tiles
- Change water filter on ice maker or water dispenser
- Have heating system checked and tuned professionally
- Clean out ducts of heating and cooling system
- Have chimney flue checked and cleaned
- Clean or change air conditioner and furnace filters
- Check pressure level in fire extinguishers
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
If you are serious about protecting your home against deterioration and damage, you need to be observant and do regular maintenance checks (with the emphasis on the word “regular”) around your place. Failing to systematically look for potential problems is only inviting disaster or at the very least, huge repair bills. As unbelievable as it seems, a small fix here and a thorough cleaning there can keep your house and everything in it running smoothly. Neglect a small problem, though, and it will inevitably grow into a major one.
If you have any questions, concerns or require additional information please feel free to comment below or contact us at any of the sources provided. firstname.lastname@example.org, 519.579.5330, Twitter @HoggMechanical, Facebook Hogg Heating & Air Conditioning
Posted in: Heating - Tagged with: baeumler, Cambridge, contractors, cost, efficiency, efficient, electricity, Elmira, energy, fall, furnace, Guelph, health, heating, Hogg, Home, house, HVAC, Kitchener, maintenance, Mechanical, power, saving, savings, temperature, thermostat, Tips, Waterloo, weather