Five Reasons to get a Furnace Tune-up
December 3, 2014
Winter has yet to officially arrive but furnaces are already chugging away, keeping us warm while we go about our days. These machines are working tirelessly to keep us comfortable, but do we really give them enough attention?
The reality is most people don’t think about their furnaces until something has gone wrong; we think that’s a travesty. Here are five good reasons to treat your furnace to a tune-up before the weather gets too nasty:
- It keeps your warranty valid – Performing regular maintenance and tune-ups is written into many manufacturer and extended warranties. The companies that honour these warranties expect you to perform your due diligence to help stave off larger issues down the road. Whether you have paid for an extended warranty (always a good idea) or are only covered by the manufacturer warranty it is always best to do everything in your power to keep it valid.
- Improve efficiency and save up to $100 per year – Doesn’t that sound good? Spending a little bit now will save you in the long run. For example, Hogg’s tune-up costs $45. You have the opportunity to save double that with a little quick maintenance.
- Keeps you and your family safe – Nothing is more important than keeping your family safe. Carbon monoxide detectors are now mandatory in all Ontario homes. This is a fantastic safety measure but these alarms are designed to tell you there’s a problem after carbon monoxide has already started spilling into your home. During a tune-up a technician make sure everything is venting properly and that nothing is leaking into your home. Preventative maintenance can help ensure the health and safety of your loved ones.
- Extends the life of your furnace – Now, who doesn’t want that? A furnace is a big purchase and not one that we necessarily plan. By keeping tabs on what is happening with your furnace, you can make sure that purchase doesn’t have to happen for a long time. Most furnaces can have a running life of 15-20 years if properly maintained but that number drops dramatically if you don’t take care of your equipment.
- Helps you plan for the future – As we said in point four, purchasing a furnace is not something that most people plan. Up to 40 per cent of people don’t think about furnace replacements until their old furnace gives out completely. This means home owners are left to make a quick decision without having time to research brands or figure out what would suit their needs. When you have a technician in to tune up your furnace they can assess its overall “health” and even give you an idea how much longer your furnace might last. Having a ballpark knowledge on when your furnace might give out on you allows you to research different makes. The ability to take time with this decision means that you can know you are making the best choice for your home.
We don’t usually think about the equipment that keeps us and our homes comfortable. We assume that it will be there and working when we need it. Just like all other machines, though, your furnace needs a little bit of TLC to be kept running at its best. When we perform a tune-up, we not only provide a service, but we provide peace of mind – a tune-up keeps money in your pocket and makes your home a safer place.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact us by phone or through our website. If you have more questions, please call, email or get in touch through our Twitter account or our Facebook page.
Posted in: Heating - Tagged with: baeumler, Cambridge and North Dumfries Hydro, carbon monoxide, efficiency, efficient, furnace, furnace tune-up, heating, helpful hints, Hogg, Kitchener Wilmot Hydro, licensed, Local, Mechanical, natural gas, Safety, saving, savings, tune-up, warranty, Waterloo, Waterloo North Hydro