Common Spring Renovations
March 6, 2015
Spring is just around the corner and it’s time to start thinking about home repairs! A lot of Canadians wait for the warmer weather to begin their renovations, but are there some renos that take place in the spring more often than others?
Here are five popular springtime home repairs/ renovations:
- Building a deck – The frost has retreated but the deck is in shambles; when better to rebuild? Cooler weather means a more comfortable work environment. Also, getting it done before the summer hits means that the work you do now can be enjoyed to its fullest when the heat really hits.
- Painting the outside of your house – Inside or outside, painting your home is a quick and easy way to update the look of your home.
- Fixing or replacing outdoor lights – Again, this is a fairly simple way to show off your assets. Mounted lights can highlight your home’s finer points while also adding extra late-night security. This is also a great time to look at outdoor garden lighting – If you’re already building that new deck, why not give yourself something pretty to look at later in the season?
- Gutters – Winter weather can put a huge strain on your gutters, leading to any variety of cracks and clogs. One of the most popular spring fix-ups is checking over and repairing your home’s gutters. Check them for any cracks or warping and make sure to clear any debris to allow water to flow away from your home. A leaky gutter is a fairly easy fix but when left untended can lead to serious repairs. It is suggested that you check your gutters twice a year.
- Roof repairs – The spring thaw paired with April showers will highlight a roof problem quickly. Whether a quick fix or a full roof makeover, this is an important project. A leaky roof, if it isn’t fixed promptly, can lead to serious water damage. So whether you are a do-it-yourselfer or plan on hiring a contractor, get the job done early so you don’t have to worry about it later.
These are just a few of the more common repairs/ renovations that happen in spring but are by no means the only ones. No matter what projects you take on, though, make sure to do them safely. If you are in doubt, hire a contractor to help!
If you have any questions, or would like to see another topic covered on our blog, please contact us via our website, on Twitter or on our Facebook page. Send us your home renovation stories! We would love to hear them.
Posted in: Home maintenance tips - Tagged with: cleaning, contractor, contractors, deck, DIY, do it yourself, gutters, Home, house, lighting, paintrenovations, reno, renos, renovation, roof, roofing, Safety, spring, springtime, weather